TWO MESOPOTAMIAN CUNEIFORM FOUNDATION CONES
circa late 3rd-early 2nd millennium b.c.
One from the reign of Ishma-Dagan, circa 1953-1935 B.C., of slim tapering form with a flat head, with two rows of text on the spike reading "Ishma-Dagan, mighty man, king of Isin, king of the four world regions, when he cancelled the taxes of Nippur, the city beloved if Enlil, and excused its men from military service, he built the city wall of Isin. The name of that wall is: Ishma-Dagan is a great ... beside Enlil"; and one from the reign of Gudea, circa 2010 B.C., of slim tapering form with a rounded flaring head, the inscription reading "For Ningirsu, mighty warrior of Enlil, his lord Gudea, ruler of Lagash, who built the Eninnu (temple) of Nigirsu, (also) built his Epa, the temple of seven sectors"
63/8 in. (16.2 cm) high (2)