The service to which the first plate belongs was probably made for Adriaan Valckenier (1695-1751), who served in Batavia from 1715 to 1741. The left-hand cartouche depicts the King William Gate at Cleves and the right-hand one possibly a Dutch East India Company warehouse. See D. S. Howard, The Choice of the Private Trader, London, 1994, pp. 78 and 79, no. 61 for an identical plate now in the Hodroff Gallery at the Winterthur Museum, Delaware; Mr. Howard dates this service to circa 1738 and comments this is one of four services made with these arms. See C. Le Corbeilller, China Trade Porcelain: Patterns of Exchange, New York, 1974, pp. 86-88 for a discussion on the Valckenier services, and no. 34 for a similar plate to the present lot.