The present lot is an excellent example of the early porcelain produced by the Imperial Porcelain Factory in St Petersburg.
The elaborate Chernishev coat of arms incorporating the order of St Andrew illustrates the importance of the bearer, signifying both their achievements and their loyalty during the early years of Catherine II's reign.
Count Zakhar Grigorievich Chernishev (1722-84) participated in the capture of Berlin in 1760 and, as a result, the walls of the city were incorporated into the family coat of arms. He was the first lover of Catherine II while she was wife of the heir to the throne and, during her reign, he became a leading free mason. His brother, Piotr, was a diplomat and later became a senator. Both received the Order of St Andrew which adorn the coat of arms of the cache-pots.