Giuseppe Mazza (Bologna 1653-1741) studied painting under Canuti and Cignani, but is best known today for his stucco reliefs and sculpture. Although Mazza turned down an appointment to the court of Prince Johann Adam Liechtenstein in Vienna, he became member of the Academy of Clementina in Bologna.
Gaetano Lollini (d. Bologna 1769) was especially active in ecclesiastical commissions in Bologna during the middle of the 18th century. His works can be found in a number of Bolognese churches, including Saint Catherine, Saint Stephen and Saint Luke.
The present two figures, signed by different artists and dated almost 70 years apart, are a matched pair. For their similarity in scale, iconography and composition, it is probable that Lollini, the sculptor of the later figure, intended his piece to compliment Mazza's in a Bolognese chapel interior.