With Glashütter Uhren-Fabrik Union original fitted brown leather presentation box containing a spare crystal.
Based on the engraved inscription on the cuvette of the watch it can be assumed that it was presented by the German painter Max Ziegra (Dresden 1852 - 1923 Berlin) to the theater director Friedrich Zschiegner, inventor of the so-called "Human Birds", an aerial ballet (see Direction "Aerial Ballet", The New York Times, 1 February 1903).
Uhrenfabrik Union was founded on 1 January 1893 by the Dresden wholesaler Johannes Dürrstein (1845-1901). Born in Frankfurt/Main, Johannes Dürrstein started his career with the wholesaler Ludwig & Fries. In 1874 he and his brother Friedrich set up their own business Dürrstein & Co. in Dresden
Uhrenfabrik Union, trademark "Union", quickly became one of Germany's leading manufacturers of high quality watches, including small series of complicated timepieces such as pocket chronometers, tourbillons, perpetual calendar, repeating and striking watches. Union watches fitted with a Swiss ébauche were hallmarked with a bell surrounded by stars. Those entirely made in Germany, such as the present watch, featured the "portal" mark.