Vacheron & Constantin
One of the most respected names in watchmaking, Vacheron & Constantin began as the workshop of one man. Jean-Marc Vacheron opened his first store in 1775 with one apprentice, producing finely crafted watches. Francois Constantin, a swashbuckling salesman with a shrewd eye for business, joined Vacheron in 1819. Under the leadership of this dynamic pair, Vacheron was the first company to recognize the shift of watches from their status as luxury goods to practical necessities. In 1839, they revolutionized the craft of watchmaking by being the first to mechanize production under the guidance of George-Auguste Leschot. In 1880, the company adopted their trademark Maltese Cross and recognized the contributions of Constantin by re-naming the company Vacheron & Constantin. Throughout the twentieth-century Vacheron & Constantin continued to produce watches known for their craftsmanship and precision.
Information provided by Vacheron & Constantin: A Time Story in History.