W. & S. JONES, London
A lacquered-brass Martin-pattern planeterium, with 8½-inch diameter drum containing geared mechanism, engraved calendar and Zodiac scales, seven planetary arms with ivory planets and moons, tellurium with 3-inch miniature globe signed J. & W. Cary (New) Pocket Globe, geared mechanism and hour ring, lunarium with similar geared mechanism, on pillar support with folding cabriole legs -- 15in.(38cm.)high, in fitted mahogany case with brass plaque engraved This Orrery originally belonged to the late Rev. C. Rogers, who was Vicar of Sowerby Bridge from 1829-1863. He lived at Beech House, and in addition to his classical abilities had scientific and mechanical gifts and was able to make use of them. After his death the Orrey came into possession of his eldest daughter Mrs. T. Pollit, of Clough House, Sowerby Bridge, and in 1929 was given to the Secondary School by one of her sons, E. E. Pollit Esq., who was Chairman of the Governors from 1905 to 1930.