The second of the 'big four', Cedric was launched on August 21st 1902 and made her maiden voyage on February 11th 1903, from Liverpool to New York. Cedric, like her sister Celtic, was Belfast built and her machinery was identical. They were graceful ships of two funnels and four masts, the bridge and deck officers' accomodation being separated from the main passenger spaces. After 1906 Cedric was to make special voyages during the winter and spring to the Mediterranean from New York.
During hte First World War, both ships were requisitioned by the British Government and Cedric became an armed merchant cruiser in the 10th Cruiser Squadron, although in 1915 she was converted to carry troops. Her only incident during this period was in January 1918, when, on the 29th at the Mersey Bar, she collided with the Canadian Pacific steamer Montreal which later sank.
After the armisitce she resumed her New York sailings and continued in this service until September 1931 when she made her last voyage for White Star. She was sold to Wards for £22,150 and in January 1932 she went to Inverkeithing to be broken up.