William Evans returned to the subject of Clivedon or 'Cliefdon' on a number of occasions. He exhibited three views at the Royal Water-Colour Society, and the present watercolour may well be similar to that entitled Cliefdon from Taplow Weir, exhibited in 1834, no. 374. Clivedon was burnt down in 1795 and not rebuilt until 1824, when the estate was bought by Sir George Warrender. In 1849, it was sold to the Duke of Sutherland, and burnt down again, to be rebuilt in its present form by Sir Charles Barry.