The Princess Irene Brigade was the first allied unit to enter the royal residence and the seat of government of liberated The Hague. The Brigade consisted of freed Dutch troops and was formed after the German invasion of the Netherlands in 1940. It was named after Queen Beatrix's sister Princess Irene, and means 'She who brings freedom'. Following World War II the brigade was abolished. However, their traditions are perpetuated in the 17th Garderegiment Fuseliers 'Prinses Irene' stationed in Oirschot.