WOOD, Robert (1717?-1771). The Ruins of Palmyra, otherwise Tedmor, in the desart. London: 1753.
2° (545 x 365mm). 3 full-page engraved illustrations of inscriptions, one large folding panorama (on three joined sheets, two repaired tears, some soiling to one margin), 56 engraved plans and plates. (Occasional light spotting or soiling.) Modern red half morocco gilt.
FIRST EDITION. Wood, accompanied by James Dawkins, John Bouverie and the Italian artist and architect Giovanni Battista Borra, travelled extensively in the Levant, reaching the relatively unvisited sites of Palmyra and Balbec in 1751. Wood published The Ruins of Palmyra in 1753, and The Ruins of Balbec four years later. Both volumes were praised by Walpole, and the plates of "these unfamiliar sites were [an] important architectural source" (Blackmer). The plates were engraved by P. Fourdrinier, T. Muller and T. Major from drawings by Borra. Cohen-de Ricci 916; Fowler 443; Berlin Kat. 1884; Harris 939.