A pair of sauceboats of identical form in the Royal Collection was apparently the model for the present examples and others made during the Regency and George IV periods. The Royal pair, hallmarked in 1764, is engraved with the badge of George IV as Prince of Wales. The Royal Goldsmiths, Rundell Bridge & Rundell, most likely commissioned the Regency examples, and Paul Storr, their leading silversmith, made the earliest known examples in 1812 (a pair of this date is illustrated in Morrie A. Moss, The Lillian and Morrie Moss Collection of Paul Storr Silver,, 1972, p. 184. There are two sets of four by Storr of 1819 also known (a pair from the first set, now in the Gans Collection at the Virginia Museum, was sold in these Rooms, April 28, 1992, lot 166; the other pair from the same set was also sold in these Rooms, October 18, 1989, lot 163; the second set of four of 1819 is illustrated in N. M. Penzer, Paul Storr, 1954, p. 206). Another pair by Storr of 1821 is in the Wadsworth Atheneum in Connecticut. Robert Garrard II, later Royal Goldsmith, made the other known versions, and a set of four by him of 1825 is recorded (Sotheby's, London, November 28, 1965, lot 69).