This manuscript is thought to have been commissioned by Prince Salim, the future emperor Jehangir, around 1600 when he set up a separate court at Allahabad. It is the only existing copy of a Persian translation of a lost Sanskrit work. The thirteen miniatures were painted by three different artists; for another leaf see Indian Miniature Painting from the Collection of Edwin Binney, 3rd, The Mughal and Deccani Schools, 1973, cat. no. 44.