14 December 1999
A PARCEL-GILT POLYCHROME CARVED WOOD RELIEF OF THE ADORATION OF THE MAGI
CIRCLE OF PEDRO MORETO (ACTIVE CIRCA 1530-1555), circa 1550
In a later elaborately carved wood frame.
Very minor damages and restorations.
23 x 21.5/8 in. (58.4 x 54.9 cm.)
Contact Client Service
New York +1 212 636 2000
London +44 (0)20 7839 9060
Asia +852 2760 1766
G. Weise, Die Plastik der Renaissance und des Frhbarock in Nrdlichen Spanien, Tubingen, 1959, II, pp. 28-31, pls. 50-55.
M. Trusted, Spanish Sculpture, London, 1996, no. 56.
Based in Saragossa, Pedro Moreto took over the workshop of his father, the sculptor Juan Moreto, at the time of the latter's death sometime before 1551. Pedro is known to have executed or collaborated upon a number of altarpieces in the region around Saragossa, including the high altars of the parish churches of Ibdes and Lumbier. Stylistically, the present relief is very closely related to reliefs from both these altars, as well as the high altar formerly in the parish church of Vera de Moncayo, attributed by Weise to the workshop of Pedro Moreto (Weise, loc. cit.).
The four auctioneers in the historic ONE sale — which will be relayed from Hong Kong, Paris, London and New York — on the works they look forward to selling
Annabel Matterson reveals how the South of France became a catalyst for creativity — illustrated with works offered online in Joie de Vivre