This important drawing shows a fairly early stage in the evolution of the design for the Chamber of the House of Lords, although most of its main features can already be seen here. It is particularly interesting that the south side, where the throne is placed, is not shown. The design for that elevation was not resolved until the end of 1844, by which time Barry had invited Pugin, who had left the project in 1837, to come back and help him with the interiors. The Lords were uncomfortable in their temporary chamber. Thus the Chamber of the House of Lords, the masterpiece of Barry's and Pugin's work, was the first part of the new building to be fitted out, and was opened by Queen Victoria in April 1847.
We are grateful to Lady Alexandra Wedgwood for her help in preparing this catalogue entry.