The present vases are stylistically transitional. Although modeled in the avant garde neo-classic style of the late 1760's, the painted decoration in the style of François Boucher harks back to the more florid rococo sympathies of earlier in the century.
The original model and mould for the present model, also known as a Vase 'Tulipe' or a Vase à Bandes Tournantes, were finalized in 1771 and are retained in the factory archives (18, inv. 1771, moule 60#, modèle 120#).
Only three other pairs are known, all in public collections:
A pair painted with port scenes on a beau bleu ground, formerly in the Hodgkins Collection and now in the Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore
A pair painted with putti and with trophies of war on a beau bleu ground, date 1769 and at the Musée Condé, Chantilly
A pair painted with pastoral scenes on a bleu celéste ground, circa 1775, previously in the Kress Collection and now in the Metropolitan Museum of Art