This hand-colored engraving is part of a set of forty published in 1780 by Ducros and Volpato as Vues de Rome et de ses environs (G. Marini, Giovanni Volpato, exhib. cat., Bassano del Grappa and Rome, Instituto Nazionale per la Grafica, 1988, nos. 228-267). The preparatory drawing for The Arch of Septimius Severus is in Lausanne (exhibited in Kenwood, the Iveagh Bequest and elsewhere, Images of the Grand Tour, Louis Ducros, 1985, no. 7).