Two of these studies of pairs of hands are related to the two cartoons of Sainte Amélie and Sainte Rosalie drawn for the stained glass windows of the chapel Saint Ferdinand, at the time just outside of Paris (J. Foucart, op. cit., nos. 7 and 13). Both studies show the figures seen from the left, a position that Ingres later changed to show both figures facing the front. Other drawings for Sainte Amélie and Sainte Rosalie are listed by Jacques Foucart.
The stained glass windows were commissioned by King Louis-Philippe in 1842 to decorate the chapel of Notre-Dame-de-la-Compassion, or Saint Ferdinand, built on the site of the accident that kiled his oldest son Ferdinand (1810-1842). Ferdidand died on 13 July of that year in a riding accident on the road to Neuilly. To commemorate his death Louis-Philippe bought the land surrounding the site (today Porte Maillot). Three days after the death of his son the King began to look for an architect to build the chapel. The first stone was laid on 21 August of that year, barely one month after the tragic accident. The seventeen stained glass windows were first commissioned from a number of artists, but Louis-Philippe, probably thinking of the beautiful portrait of Ferdinand that Ingres had finished in 1842, personally requested that Ingres should be in sole charge of the design. On 28 July, Ingres officially received the commission along with a list of the subjects. By the 8 September three cartoons had been delivered, 5 days later another two were received and by the 15 October all were finished. By 1 November the Manufacture de Sèvres, which was producing the stained glass windows based on the cartoons, had installed nine windows. The chapel was completed by the first anniversary of Ferdinand's death. Ingres was paid 15,000 francs for the cartoons, and in addition Sèvres awarded him a gift worth 1,495 francs (one cup and one vase) to thank him for his diligence. The cartoons are now at the Louvre.