The heads of the hissing lynx to the left and the seated lynx hunched over its forlegs were engraved in reverse by Tischbein as part of the continuation of his Têtes des differents animaux (Andresen 125, A. Griffiths and F. Carey, German printmaking in the Age of Goethe, London, 1994, p. 134.). While Andresen considered the extra plates to have been made in Eutin in circa 1810, Anthony Griffiths and Frances Carey place them in Naples in circa 1796, at the time of the first publication. The Head of a tiger (Lot 170 in the present sale) relates to the same project.
A drawing in black chalk for the head of the hissing lynx to the left is in the Schloss Museum, Weimar (Johann Heinrich Wilhelm Tischbein (1751-1829) Gedächtnis-Austellung, exhib. cat., Oldenburg, Landesmuseum, 1930, no. 274).