This grand Regency library table is closely related to a table thought to have been supplied by Gillows to The First Earl Brownlow for the family's London home in Carlton House Terrace. This home was sold in the 1920's and much of the furniture was moved to Belton House, Lincolnshire. There was an extensive group of furniture which closely corresponds to Gillow designs although no direct records linking the firm with the Brownlow family appear to have survived. Following Lord Brownlow's 1766 commission to James Wyatt, the First Earl Brownlow commissioned Jeffry Wyattville to further enhance the Library and the Red Drawing Room. Bearing this in mind it is certainly possible that there was furniture commissioned from Gillow at this time for Belton. The writing table was included in the Christie's Belton House sale, 30 April 1984, lot 88.
A further related library table is in the Library at Radburne Hall Derbyshire, illustrated in J. Cornforth, The Inspiration of the Past, London, 1985, pl. XXXIII.