This pair of cabinets was commissioned by Spencer Bulkeley Wynn, 3rd Baron Newborough (d. 1888), following his rebuilding of Glynllifon to the designs of the Shrewsbury architect Edward Haycock (d. 1870). They were designed as enlarged versions of a pair of cabinets that had been supplied in 1823. However their stands lacked stretchers and mirrored backs, their pillared legs were less richly carved, and the mouldings framing the glazed panels were enriched with scalloped cartouches rather than palms at the centres and corners (see preceding lot). One was invoiced in March 1848 by Gillow & Co. of Oxford Street as:
'To a rosewood Cabinet 6 x 5/6 the upper part fitted with shelves lined with crimson velvet, silvered glass back, enclosed by 3 carved doors with glass panels, on carved supports . . . £73.10.0.'
Its pair was invoiced by Gillows ten years later, in March 1858, as:
'To a Rosewood Cabinet, with 3 shaped & carved doors with plate glass panels at the ends, lined with crimson velvet, silvered glass at the back on carved & reeded legs . . . £73.10.0.'