NASH, Joseph (1809-1878). Views of the Interior and Exterior of Windsor Castle. London: [?Charles Hullmandel for] Thomas M'Lean, 1848.
2° (698 x 550mm). Chromolithographic title with vignette finished by hand and text printed in blue, chromolithographic dedication printed in blue, 25 mounted chromolithographic plates by and after Nash, finished by hand, ink-ruled borders and neat manuscript titles in blue ink on mounts, paper guards. (Variable light spotting, some text leaves slightly creased, upper margin of 3 text leaves lightly stained.) Contemporary half hard-grained blue morocco gilt over blue cloth by J. Wright, spine gilt in compartments, lettered in one, others densely gilt with floral, foliate and other tools, gilt edges (extremities a little rubbed, light fading, spotting and staining on boards). Provenance: Christopher Turnor, Stoke Rochford Hall, Lincolnshire (1810-1886, bookplate).
FIRST EDITION. THE TURNOR COPY OF 'AN EARLY EXAMPLE OF THREE-COLOUR PRINTING' (Abbey). Views originated in drawings of two state visits which Nash, an architectural draughtsman and student of Pugin, had made on Queen Victoria's instructions, and were then supplemented with further views to complete the series. With The Mansions of England in Olden Times (London: 1839-1849), M. Twyman considers Views Nash's 'only other important original publication' (Lithography 1800-1850, London: 1970, p. 216). Although no printer's name is given, it seems most probable that the work was printed by Charles Hullmandel, who was responsible for Nash's lithographs at this time; Abbey states that 'the figures and smaller details are hand-finished, probably by the artist, this being one of the few "Royal Copies"', but Twyman notes that only copies coloured by hand ... can be traced', and the work was re-issued in 1852 as a supplementary volume to Nash's Mansions. This copy is from the library at Stoke Rochford Hall (built for Christopher Turnor by William Burn in the early 1840s), and was bound (probably for Turnor) by John Wright (d. 1854), who enjoyed the patronage of many 19th-century bibliophiles and is described by Ramsden as 'a binder of the highest order' (London Book Binders 1780-1840, p. 154). Abbey Scenery 360; Tooley 339.