This form of bergere was named a 'curricle', after the Roman magistrate or consul's seat, by Thomas Sheraton in The Cabinet Dictionary, London, 1803. The name was adopted by Gillows of London, who supplied five chairs of this model between 1811-1812 to Wilbraham Egerton for Tatton Park, Cheshire, at a cost of five pounds each and intended for bedrooms and dressing-rooms (N. Goodison and J.Hardy, 'Gillows at Tatton Park', Furniture History, 1970, pl. 16A and S. Bourne, 'Gillow Chairs and Fashion', Exhibition Catalogue, Blackburn, 1991, pp.32-33. A pair of this type of bergeres, attributed to Gillows, were sold anonymously, Christie's, London, 28 November 2002, lot 83 (£20,315).
A single caned bergere, in the manner of Gillows, was sold anonymously, Christie's, London, 22 April 2006, lot 311 (£5,040).