GILES GRENDEY AND THIS MODEL OF CHAIR
The attribution of 18th century chairs of this model to Grendey is primarily based on a labelled set from Gunton Park, Norfolk, and which differs only in having scrolled rather than paw feet (C. Gilbert, Pictorial Dictionary of Marked London Furniture 1700-1840, London, 1996, p. 243, fig. 437). The chair's design is also remarkably similar to a suite of armchairs probably supplied to the Hon. George Shirley (1707-1787) who inherited Ettington Park, Warwickshire. Two pairs from this suite were sold anonymously, Christie's, London, 4 July 2002, lot 20 and 10 July 2003, lot 120. The attribution to Grendey's workshop of the chairs in the Ettington park suite is strengthened by the presence of the stamp of 'WH', very probably for William House, employed by Grendey from 14 April 1747 (G. Beard and C. Gilbert, eds., Dictionary of English Furniture Makers, Leeds, 1986, pp. 371-372).
A similar model was also in the collection of Percival D. Griffiths at Sandridgebury, Hertfordshire, (R. W. Symonds, English Furniture from Charles II to George II, London, 1929, p. 155, fig. 102). The latter chair was part of the Griffiths sale, Christie's, London, 11 May 1939, lot 285 and again 7 April 1983, lot 155.