The richly sculpted bookcase, with its embattled cornice supported by pinnacled and lion-headed pilasters, bears an oak-wreathed 'H.L.' cypher beside the date 1847. It is conceived in the romantic 'Old English' or British fashion associated with the New Palace of Westminster Furnishings as designed under the direction of the architect Sir Charles Barry (d. 1860) by A.W.N. Pugin (d. 1853). However such chivalric embellishments and cusp-arched glazing, in the Gothic style associated with the Elizabethan age, had already been popular since 1800 (see George Smith's bookcase pattern in his Collection of Designs for Household Furniture and Interior Decoration, 1808, pl. 100). The present bookcase has been recorded at one time in Devon, so it perhaps worth noting that this patriotic style had been promoted in that area by the likes of the Hon. Newton Fellowes, later Earl of Portsmouth (d. 1854) of Eggesford House and his eclectic Devonshire architect Thomas Lee (d. 1834) (see R.A. Lauder, Vanished Houses of North Devon, 1981).