The mirrors, with triumphal arched temple pediments, are designed in the George II 'Roman' fashion popularised by William Jones', The Gentleman or Builder's Companion (1739); and with their architectonic tablet corners and 'Venus' shell reliefs, relate to contemporary pier-glass designs by the Rome-trained architect James Gibbs (d.1754), author of A Book of Architecture (1728), and Thirty Three Shields & Compartments (1731) (see T. Friedman, James Gibbs, London, 1984; and 'James Gibbs's Designs for Domestic Furniture', Leeds Art Calendar, 1972, pp.19-25). The ornament of shells capped by palm trophies and acanthus-wrapped escutcheons also features on a George II pier-glass formerly at Heveningham Hall, Suffolk (sold Sotheby's London, 10 July 1970, lot 54). A related 'girandole' pier-glass, with candle-branch sockets, was formerly at Necton Hall, Norfolk (sold anonymously, Christie's London, 4 July 1991, lot 135)
The collection formed by Sir Henry Price at Wakehurst Place, near Ardingly, West Sussex and in Wilbraham House, London was remarkable for the harmonious assemblage of early furniture, works of art and Elizabethan paintings. Price's especial passion was for pieces from the late 17th and early to mid-18th centuries. In this he was guided by the expert hand of Frank Partridge, whose firm had also helped form some of the other great collections of the 20th century. Sir Henry died in 1963 and bequeathed Wakehurst Place to the National Trust whilst his wife, Lady Eve Price retained the contents. The cream of the collection was subsequently sold at Sotheby's, London on 22 November 2000.