The Mayer Bachmann's Brewery was the largest of the half-dozen breweries on Staten Island operating in the late 19th century. Constructed in 1851, it was the first lager beer factory on Staten Island. Originally named the Clifton Brewery, it was financed in a joint venture between Antonio Meucci and Giuseppe Garibaldi. The brewery occupied the block bounded by Forest (Now Ditson), Maple (Now Lynhurst), Willow, and Tompkins avenues in the village of Clifton. This tray illustrates the layout of the Brewery before a fire destroyed the buildings on November 1, 1881.