MISSAL, use of Monte Cassino Congregation -- Missale monasticum secundum morem & ritum Casinensis congregationis, alias sancte Justine. Venice: Luc'Antonio Giunta, 18 April 1506.
2° (360 x 253mm). 254 leaves. Missal type 140G. 36 lines, double columns. Printed in red and black throughout. Woodcut of St. Benedict on title, Giunta's Florentine lily device in red below. Numerous woodcut illustrations and historiated initials, 13 leaves within woodcut pictorial borders and 2 within ornamental borders, FULL-PAGE ILLUSTRATION OF THE CRUCIFIXION AND SMALLER CUT OF THE CONSECRATION IN FINE CONTEMPORARY HAND-COLOURING. (O2-5 with marginal repairs, lower corner of FF2 repaired, a few small marginal repairs or closed marginal tears, final leaf with small hole, a few light marginal stains, light worming at beginning and end.) Contemporary blindstamped German pigskin over wooden boards, brass clasps and catches (rebacked with later vellum, impressions rubbed, lacking brass centre- and corner-pieces, a little soiled, stronger on rear cover). Provenance: Bendictines of Rheinau (inscription on title, 'Sum monrij Rhenani', and perhaps binding) -- contemporary manuscript additions in several hands -- chancery leaf inserted between U6 & U7 with the office of St. Sebastian, signed Heinricus Hÿlprandus and dated 1520 -- slip inserted between R5 & R6 -- quire of 6 royal sheets (fo. 12 cancelled) at end, with various offices and lessons for Saints' days -- Emil B. Goldschmid, Frankfurt (bookplate).
An EXTREMELY RARE GRAND MISSAL. In 1504, Julius II united the Benedictines of Monte Cassino to the recently established congregation of St. Justina of Padua, which was thenceforth known as the Cassinese congregation. This missal was printed for the use of those houses following the restored ancient rule of St. Benedict and the discipline of St. Ludovico Barbo, Abbot of Justina. Its reach is demonstrated by this copy, which was not only owned by the Benedictines at Rheinau but was adapted and extended in manuscript with texts for local use in the canton of Zurich; the Canon cuts were presumably coloured there. Essling 1208; Sander 4695; Weale-Bohatta 1688.