Based on designs by Robert Adam from the 1760s, these candlesticks formed part of a set associated with William Beckford's earliest silver commissions and reflect his lifelong passion for neoclassicism. Beckford first commissioned candlesticks of this model in 1781 and added to the set at intervals until 1817, the year the present pair was hallmarked. At least eighteen of these candlesticks survive, although the total number in Beckford's collection is unknown.
Another pair of silver candlesticks of this design by John Scofield of 1791 are now in the Beckford Collection, Brodick Castle, National Trust for Scotland. They are illustrated in Derek E. Ostergard, ed., William Beckford 1760-1844: An Eye for the Magnificent, 2001, p. 306.
William Beckford (1760-1844)
by George Romney
Upton House, Warwickshire
[c] National Trust Images/John Hammond