The original Antique version of the Borghese Gladiator was recorded in 1611 as having been discovered
in Nettuno after which it was removed to the estate of Cardinal Borghese. In 1807 it was purchased by
Napoleon and by 1811 it was in Paris and is now in the Louvre.
It is possible that this over-life size example was cast by Crozatier, like the monumental
bronze of Ajax (the preceding lot in this sale). Both Ajax and the gladiator were
originally mounted on a plinths in the in the Italian Garden at Wynyard Park.
The Italian garden is at some distance from the main house and was
abandoned by the mid-20th century, presumably when the house
was requisitioned during the Second World War.