The sitter was styled Lord Tullamore between 1806 and 1835. He was the son of Charles Bury, 1st Earl of Charleville (1764-1835) and Catherine Maria Dawson (1762-1851). In 1821 he married Harriet Charlotte Beaujolais Campbell (1801-1848) in Florence. Charleville's family seat was Charleville Castle, Tullamore, Co. Offaly, Ireland, which was designed by Francis Johnston between 1806 and 1812 and is an important surviving example of Gothic revival architecture in Ireland. In 1835, the year the present miniature was painted, the sitter succeeded to the title of 2nd Earl of Charleville and held the office of Lord of the Bedchamber to King William IV. Between 1838 and 1851 he held the office of Representative Peer, Ireland. He is depicted in Sir George Hayter's The House of Commons, 1833 in the National Portrait Gallery, London (inv. no. NPG 54).