In March 1835, Robert Jupe, upholster of 47 Welbeck Street, Cavendish Square, patented a design for 'an improved expanding table so constructed that the sections composing its surface may be caused to diverge from a common center and that the spaces caused thereby may be filled up by inserting leaves or filling pieces'. The first examples were produced between 1835 and 1840 in partnership with John Johnstone of New Bond Street and were stamped Johnstone, Jupe & Co.London. By 1840 Robert Jupe had left the partnership to form his own firm in Welbeck Street, and his name alone usually appears on later tables with this mechanism.
Although the present lot doesn’t appear to have been stamped, it can be attributed to Jupe tables from 1835-40 based on the identical mechanism, form and ornament. Several examples, as well as a detail of the mechanism, illustrate the remarkable consistence of their workshop and are reproduced in C. Gilbert, Pictorial Dictionary of Marked London Furniture 1700-1840, Leeds, 1996, pp. 283-285. Related tables with similar bases sold at auction include one sold anonymously at Sotheby’s, London 6 June 2006 lot 368 (£88,000 including premium) and another also with two sets of leaves sold anonymously, Bonham's, London, 9 April 2002, lot 124 (£120,000 including premium).