The design for this elegant guéridon was almost certainly provided by Dominique Daguerre, the celebrated marchand-mercier, whose innovative 'arabesque' and 'Etruscan' furniture gained him much acclaim in the last quarter of the 18th Century. Daguerre probably developed the present model circa 1785, as the sale of M. Bergeret on 24 April 1786 lists one example with a porphyry top: ‘388 Une table de porphyre, ronde, suportée par un pied en bronze à trois consoles à bandeaux, a baguettes dorées, & anneaux; le tout lié par doubles baguettes de forme triangulaire. Hauteur 26 pouces, diametre 14 pouces.’ The table was sold for 340 livres to M. Letoffé.
A guéridon with similar rope-twist uprights from the collection of Baronne Roger de Sivry, sold Paris, 22 March 1904, lot 206 and subsequently in the collection of Madame Barletta de Cates, sold Christie's Paris, 18 March 2003, lot 333, is faintly stamped by Adam Weisweiler with whom Daguerre collaborated on numerous occasions. A further guéridon also with rope-twist uprights is illustrated in the collection of Consuelo Vanderbilt Balsan and Colonel Jacques Balsan in the petit salon at hôtel Marlborough, Paris in the privately printed catalogue of their collection, L-H. Prost, Collection de Madame et du Colonel Balsan, Paris, 1936, plate CXIV.