Sir Ralph Woodford was appointed Governor of Trinidad in 1813 when he was just 29. He was the longest serving Governor and one of the most influential, presiding over land reclamations off the Port-of-Spain waterfront to create the South Quay, the purchase of an abandoned sugar estate that became the Queen's Park Savannah 'for the recreation of the townsfolk and for the pasturage of cattle', and the establishment of Trinity Church and the Church of the Immaculate Conception, both of which became cathedrals. He died at sea off Jamaica on his return to England in 1828.
A portrait of him was painted by Sir Thomas Lawrence for the Cabildo local council and was brought to Trinidad by the Hon. Ashton Warner after his death. A life-size monument by Chartrey was erected in Trinity Cathedral in his memory by the inhabitants of Trinidad as 'a lasting memorial of his many public and private virtues and of their respect and gratitude'.