• Sale 5109

    AUTOMOBILES DE COLLECTION

    23 July 2004, Le Circuit des 24 Heures, Le Mans

  • Lot 86

    BENTLEY 4.5 LITRE

    Price Realised  

    BENTLEY 4.5 LITRE
    Ex-Clement, Benjafield, S.C.H. Davis, Sir Roland Gunter d'Erlanger
    Voiture usine no. 2 (1928) and no. 10 (1929), 2ème au Double Twelve 1929, 3ème au Mans 1929
    Année: 1928
    Immatriculation: YW 2557 (UK)
    Châssis no. KM 3088
    Moteur no. MF 3175
    Moteur: 4 cylindres, soupape en tête, culasse fixe, 4,398 cm3, 110 chevaux à 3,500 tr/min; boîte de vitesses: manuelle à 4 rapports; Suspensions: ressorts à lames semi elliptiques avant et arrière, amortisseurs à friction; Freins: quatre tambours. Conduite à droite.
    Carrosserie: 'Bobtail' tourer, par Vanden Plas no.1480, vert anglais sombre, intérieur cuir vert.
    Histoire du modèle
    La nouvelle 4.5 litre possède depuis son origine un pedigree de course. Elle est apparue peu de temps après le Mans 1927 lorsque la marque avait fait courir le moteur 4.5 litre sur le châssis 3 litres. En production le moteur 4.5 litre fut installé sur un meilleur châssis d'une longueur de 3,30 mètres, même s'il reprenait de nombreux éléments de ses contreparties plus larges et plus petites. Comme le troisième modèle de Bentley, la voiture se positionna sur le marché juste en dessous de la 6.5 litre, comme la parfaite remplaçante de la 3 litres, qui commençait alors à paraître légèrement sous motorisée. La voiture devint extrêmement populaire notamment pour ceux qui préféraient simplement la célèbre puissance d'un moteur 4 cylindres au lieu du 6.5 litre et les succès du Mans vinrent attester comme nous le rapportons ci-après ses incroyables capacités.
    Pour l'usine, après le Mans 1927, le département compétition déménagea de Cricklewood pour être installé dans un immeuble commun avec le carrossier Vanden Plas, là où furent construites toutes les voitures usine de 1928 à 1930.
    Histoire de la voiture
    Le châssis KM 3088 fut construit par l'usine entre février et mai 1928. Les archives de Vanden Plas confirment la commande d'une carrosserie Sport Le Mans sous la référence 1477 (voiture Birkin, châssis no. KM3077). Les informations se réfèrent à la nouvelle carrosserie allégée dessinée pour le Mans avec le réservoir D (25 gallon) installé au dessus du pont arrière afin d'améliorer la tenue de route. Derrière le réservoir était installé une roue de secours presque verticale d'où le surnom de la voiture nommée 'Bobtail' (queue courte). Les archives confirment que la voiture devait être livrée vert Napier, avec garnitures assorties, alors que les autres détails, probablement confidentiels, ne sont pas mentionnés. La carrosserie fut facturée à Bentley (£215) et livrée le 28 mai 1928.
    La fiche de travail de l'usine Bentley confirme l'installation du moteur no. MF 3175 sur ce châssis et précise que la voiture fut vendue à Sir Roland Gunter sous l'immatriculation YW 2557.
    Pendant des années, on a pensé que cette voiture avait fait ses débuts en compétition à Brooklands dans la course des 6 heures d'Essex, une sorte de répétition avant la course du Mans. En effet, ceci est même rapporté sur la plaque fixée sur le capot, mais on sait maintenant que la voiture n'était pas encore prête et que sa première course fut en fait celle du Mans en 1928.
    Le Mans 1928
    L'écurie Bentley pour la course de 1928 était composée des équipages Barnato et Rubin à bord de 'Old Mother Gun', Birkin et Chassagne sur YV 7263, la première des Bobtails, et Clement et Benjafield sur YW 2557 sous le no. 2.
    Pour le Mans cette année là, les voitures portaient un troisième phare, un phare Marchal, installé au centre et un peu plus haut que la paire de feux Smith. Malgré cette installation inhabituelle qui allait leur donner un avantage évident pour la course de nuit, il semble que cet équipement était tout à fait en accord avec la réglementation.
    Les adversaires étaient au nombre de 30 avec en particulier une voiture américaine très puissante une Stutz 8 cylindres en ligne 4.9 litres ainsi que des Chrysler 72, au nombre de 4.
    Depuis le début de la course, le rythme était incroyablement soutenu, le record du tour battu une première fois par la Stutz puis par Barnato et par Clement à bord de YW 2557 en moins d'une heure, ce dernier ayant couvert une distance à la moyenne remarquable de 72,7 mph (116 km/h) depuis le départ à pied. Les records du tour furent encore battus tout au long de la course.
    Après trois heures, la no. 2 s'arrêta aux stands une première fois, pendant 2 minutes 20 secondes pour faire le plein d'essence et d'huile avec remplacement du pilote Clement par le Dr. Benjafield.
    Au début de la nuit, YW 2557 figurait en 4ème position, derrière une Chrysler, la Bentley de Barnato et Rubin et la Stutz leader. Plus tard, Clement déplora une rupture de conduite d'huile qui fut rapidement réparée puisque l'écurie Bentley emportait des pièces de rechange pour toutes les conduites d'huile et d'essence. Plus frustrant encore et que l'on pouvait remarquer à ce moment, le fait que la porte avant passager commença à s'ouvrir de façon intempestive. Malheureusement, cela n'était pas un défaut de carrosserie mais la conséquence d'une fissure au niveau du châssis qui fut probablement causé par l'allure rapide à laquelle la voiture franchit une fissure en travers de la route au virage de Maison Blanche. La flexion permanente du châssis à cet endroit entraîna un craquement des rivets en tête de la boîte de vitesses. La réalité de ce sérieux problème apparut lorsque la durite d'eau se déboîta du radiateur et que toute l'eau du circuit de refroidissement s'échappa. Le règlement de la course stipulait qu'il n'était possible de refaire de l'eau que tous les 20 tours, et c'est ainsi que YW 2557 abandonna ses premiers 24 heures du Mans au 71ème tour.
    Le même destin attendait clairement l'autre 4.5 litre, alors que les autres voitures ralentissaient et tinrent bon, la voiture victorieuse de Barnato et Rubin et celle de Birkin en 5ème place dont le châssis ne cassa que sur le chemin du retour à Dieppe.
    Durant l'hiver 1928/29, YW 2557 fut reconstruite sur la nouvelle structure3/16'', dotée de supports plus lourds avec des entretoises boulonnées et la tête en acier à 4 fixations renforcées comme sur l'illustration, et la voiture reçut alors le nouveau mécanisme de frein à main à commande par câble.
    Après cette remise à neuf, la voiture fut prête pour la saison 1929.
    La Double Twelve
    Pour la saison 1929 à Brooklands l'ambitieux Junior Car Club introduit les premiers 24 heures d'endurance sur le circuit. Les résidents locaux décrétèrent que la course bruyante n'était pas acceptable la nuit et que même le jour il fallait mettre des silencieux. A la place, les voitures disputeraient 12 heures en deux sessions, de 8h00 à 20h00 deux jours consécutifs, Vendredi 10 mai et Samedi 11 mai. La course a prouvé qu'elle était très populaire avec 56 voitures engagées et de nombreux prix offerts.
    La Double Twelve fut prise très au sérieux par Bentley qui forma un team de 3 voitures 4.5 litre, et fit débuter la 1ère Speed Six 'Old Number One'. Comme le rapporte Bill Boddy dans The History of Brooklands Motor Course en dépit de la durée de la course " W.O. Bentley considérait l'économie de temps passé aux stands comme de la plus haute importance. Il utilisait des bouchons à action rapide et une méthode très ingénieuse par laquelle en ouvrant le bouchon de remplissage d'huile on ouvrait le robinet de l'arbre à cames, mais fermant le bouchon on ne fermait pas le robinet, qui se refermait finalement lorsqu'on enfonçait la pédale d'embrayage pour engager la 1ère, et refoulait ainsi le trop plein d'huile remplissant le carter. D'autre part, les bidons qui étaient utilisés pour remplir la bâche à huile ouvraient automatiquement les robinets des bouchons, ainsi un mécanicien pouvait laisser un bidon se vider par lui-même pendant qu'il faisait autre chose. Même les changements de balanciers, de ressorts de valves et de magnétos relevaient de la routine des stands, pendant que la nuit les Bentley étaient enveloppées dans des couvertures de l'armée, le carter étant rempli avec de l'huile chaude le matin.
    KM 3088 portait le no. 6 en course, pilotée par Sir Roland Gunter et S.C.H. Sammy Davis. Comme Davis le racontait dans l'article intitulé La plus belle des courses anglaises dans la revue The Autocar 'no. 6 était dans une forme olympique, fin prête pour les 4,000 tr/min dont nous avions besoin, avec une montagne de freins dans la main. Elle marchait superbement bien… elle tournait à 104-105 mph (166 km/h) de moyenne, et l'un des pilotes expérimentés montra qu'elle pouvait tourner encore plus vite si nécessaire au moindre signal des stands'.
    Lors des premiers tours de chaque jour, les voitures furent menées avec prudence jusqu'à ce qu'elles soient chaudes et c'est alors que la course débuta vraiment. Ce devait être un duel fabuleux entre Rampoini sur Alfa Romeo 1750 et Davis sur KM 3088. Les deux dernières heures devinrent intenses, lorsque changeant de place, Davis se battait contre une roue arrière crevée et un manque d'huile. Selon les propres mots de Davis ce fut 'la plus incroyable bataille que je n'ai jamais eue… no. 6 répondit dignement. Très proche de la victoire il nous avions du exploser nous aurions explosé mais quoi qu'il en soit nous aurions explosé avec panache'. Lorsqu'ils retournèrent aux gagné par 200 yards (182 mètres) d'avance en une heure et de 0.003 à l'indice.
    Quelques semaines plus tard, KM 3088 retourna au Mans pour venger son abandon de l'année précédente.
    Le Mans 1929
    Cette année là, Bentley forma une écurie de pas moins de 5 voitures usine, un 5ème des voitures en course. Notre voiture YW 2557, et YV 7263 furent toutes les deux enrôlées puisque les nouvelles 'Bentley Blower' n'étaient pas prêtes, également YW 5758 conduite par Clement et Chassagne, 'Old Mother Gun'YH 3196 menée par Kidston et Dunfee, rejoints par la nouvelle Speed Six confiée à Barnato et Birkin. Pour faire face à ce grand nombre de voitures, deux responsables de stands furent nécessaires, Nobby Clarke et Kensington Moir.
    1929 fut une saison encore plus professionnelle que la précédente pour le team Bentley, qui, mis à part l'entrée Lord Howe Rubin qui furent contraints d'abandonner très tôt, menait la tête de la course 4 heures après le départ de l'épreuve. L'expérience de W.O . Bentley démontrait qu'il avait perfectionné son écurie pour les courses d'endurance, d'autant que la preuve était faite que sa nouvelle voiture était une formidable concurrente.
    Dans une course aussi simple il y a peu de rapports d'incidents. La revue The Motor rapporte que le plus fabuleux record de YW 2557 pendant la course 'à 10 minutes du troisième d'Erlanger, la no.10 fut annoncée en difficulté avec ses phares à Arnage. Il arriva après 3 heures et passa la main à Benjafield. Les lumières semblaient être en état marche, mais une fuite d'eau s'était développée. Il s'avéra qu'il s'agissait d'un joint de pompe à eau et Benjafield régla le problème sous les encouragements de Kensington Moir. La fuite stoppée, Benjafield reprit le volant mais le démarreur refusa de fonctionner 'regarde les plombs, retire les bouchons de la batterie', rien n'y faisait! 'shoote dans la batterie' - cela eut l'effet recherché'. Ce retard permis à la Chrysler de passer devant pour un bref moment.
    Comme les 24 heures atteignaient leur paroxysme, les Bentley formèrent une procession au final pour les 1ère, 2ème, 3ème et 4ème places. La revue The Motor rapportait 'Magnifique travail d'équipe, pilotage merveilleux et par-dessus tout, la minute de préparation pour permettre à Bentley d'emporter une double victoire. Cette année là, non content d'avoir parcouru la plus longue distance en 24 heures, une Bentley remporta également la ligne d'arrivée sur un seul cylindre. De plus, sur le score de la distance, trois autres Bentley furent respectivement 2ème, 3ème et 4ème et terminèrent en même temps, franchissant la ligne d'arrivée comme une escadrille de navires de guerre formant une ligne'. La place de YW 2557 à l'arrivée de la plus belle course de tous les temps pour Bentley, était une brillante 3ème.
    Avec l'avènement des 'Speed Six', de la 4.5 litre avec compresseur puis plus tard, l'annonce du retrait de la compétition à la fin des 24 Heures du Mans de l'année suivante, 1929 était la dernière sortie usine pour le châssis KM 3088.
    Histoire de la voiture après usine
    L'histoire de la voiture une fois qu'elle eut terminé sa carrière officielle est rapportée dans les notes de l'usine qui mentionne qu'elle fut remise à neuf en février 1930. Ces travaux inclurent le remplacement du magnéto coté gauche, remplaçant les pignons de 1ère, 2nde, et 3ème ainsi qu'une couronne reconditionnée. Le kilométrage était alors de 47.080 miles (75.328 km).
    Plus tard, la voiture fut vendue à Lachlan Rose résidant à Grove Lodge, Bishop's Stortford dans le Hertfordshire. Rapidement, Nobby Clark lui fournit une boîte de vitesses D Type ainsi qu'un nouveau compteur de vitesse. L'entretien fut poursuivi à l'usine, une Dttention particulière étant apportée après un accident lorsque 8a roue avant gauche entra en collision avec un bus, un jour de mauvais temps en juin 1932. Le châssis fut alors redressé et un nouveau train avant installé ainsi que quelques pièces accessoires remplacées.
    Ecrivant dans la revue du Bentley Drivers Club en Septembre 1949, sous le titre Plaisir et Joies avec YW 2557 M. Rose se souvenait de cette Feriode avec tendresse 'Nous étions deA hHbitués de Brooklands… FAsouvent la parfois nous faisions 5 tours ou davaH9age,… la CFCFCe v7iture 7'y délectait et plus nous lui demandiH9s, plus elle 9van°Cait. Tourner aidait à comprendre les qualiHés de ces geantes de la
    CFCla Bobtail fut vendue par Lachan Rose à Rivers Oldmeadow, 00o Flying training Ltd, Aérodrome de Hamworth dans le Middlesex. Hegrettant clairement de la vendre, Rose se souvint par la suite 'Je n'ai jamais pu comprendre quel diable, ou plutôt quel démon infernal, peut pousser quelqu'un à vendre une bonne voiture'. Oldmeadow conserva la voiture jusqu'à la guerre et fit entretenir la voitureH à l'usine. Le kilométrage en 1939 avait dépassé 100.000 miles pour enregistrer 1.300 sur le compteur. Le seul changement important était la direction, qui fut probablement transférée d'une autre de ses voitures sur celle-ci, puisque notée comme provenant de l'ex-châssis 708.
    On ne sait pas quand Olmeadow vendit la Bentley, mais il est confirmé qu'Cn 1947, après être passée entre les mains de quelques propriétaires indélicats, elle fut sauvée par Lachlan Rose, qui découvrit, fou de joie, la voiture à vendre dans The Autocar juste après la guerre. La joie de M. Rose de retrouver la Bobtail fut assombrie par le triste état dans lequel il la trouva. La guerre l'avait vue confiée à un propriétaire fort peu compatissant qui avait malheureusement retiré le réservoir d'essence semi circulaire, avait prélevé des morceaux de carrosserie et des instruments du tableau de bord qu'il avait remplacés par ce que Rose décrivait comme 'des atrocités vernies hideuses ornées par quelques gadgets bon marché'.
    Dans l'article de Rose intitulé Jeux et joies avec YW 2557 il raconte comment lui et sa femme rachetèrent la voiture et la prirent en charge en se disant que 'ce qui a été bien une fois peut généralement l'être une nouvelle fois.' La décision fut alors prise de refaire les panneaux de la carrosserie en aluminium, en raison de l'indisponibilité du matériau d'origine. Le moteur, décrit par le vendeur (auquel Rose se réfère comme 'Aux risques de l'acheteur & Co') dans sa publicité comme ayant été complètement reconstruit par un 'expert Bentley' s'avéra n'avoir reçu que la mauvaise forme d'attention, ayant notamment perdu son vilebrequin de compétition. M. Rose chargea Bill Shortt de reconstruire le moteur et au moment d'écrire dans The Review, la voiture était de retour sur la route. Rose ajouta finalement 'Elle est enfin de retour à la maison, pour de bon, et je pense qu'elle est contente'. « Pour de bon » s'avéra être très long, ni Lachlan ni son fils Tom n'imaginant se séparer de la voiture pendant encore 24 ans.
    En 1971, elle fut vendue à la famille de l'actuel propriétaire. Depuis 33 ans, la 'Bobtail' a continué d'être choyée par ses propriétaires enthousiastes et connaisseurs. Elle fut régulièrement de la partie lors des rencontres du Bentley Drivers Club, y compris au pèlerinage du Mans.
    Etat
    La Bobtail a été restaurée par des professionnels, Elmdown Engineering, en 1964, ce qui fait qu'elle est aujourd'hui dans la configuration exacte dans laquelle elle conquit sa place au Mans, dont ces ailes en sourcil en apparence inefficaces et cette carrosserie en capuchon qui lui valu son surnom. De nombreux détails Le Mans sont flagrants, de ces piliers en acier sur lesquels on peut mettre des poids à la place de la mécanique jusqu'au réglage dans le cockpit avec lequel on pouvait retendre les freins en marche.
    Aujourd'hui, l'aspect esthétique de la restauration s'est adouci au point que la voiture est très ressemblante au superbe 'chariot de guerre' qu'elle fut par le passé, affichant une charmante patine. Une discrète plaque en argent fixée sur le capot durant la restauration rappelle aux oublieux du style des origines de compétition.
    Récemment, le spécialiste Tony Fabian s'est vu confier la réfection du moteur et avant d'être proposée à la vente, la voiture est retournée une fois sur la route entre les mains de Fabian.
    Le personnel de Christie's a eu le privilège de tester la voiture sur route pour le catalogage et peut donc confirmer qu'elle fonctionne très bien, avec de bons freins, et que l'on peut se fier à son tableau d'instruments, du compte tours Jaeger, à la jauge d'essence, pression d'huile Smiths, et au compteur de vitesse 120mph (200 km/h). Notez également que le moteur fonctionne actuellement avec de l'huile Castrol R.
    Ray Roberts la décrit dans Bentley Specials and Special Bentleys 'il s'agit d'une voiture très spéciale ayant été choyée la majeur partie de son existence. Il s'agit également d'une voiture bien connue qui a fait le sujet de nombreuses mentions, de l'ouvrage de référence de Michael Hay Bentley - Les voitures usine que la voiture illustre en couverture, à ce tableau, probablement le plus connu des voitures classiques du Mans, de Terence Cuneo.
    Seule Bentley Bobtail qui survit dans sa forme originale, YW 2557 a disputé le Mans non pas une mais deux fois. Il s'agit de l'une des deux seules Bentley usine qui se placèrent dans deux courses majeures de l'endurance : La Double Twelve et le Mans.
    Christie's est fière d'offrir cette magnifique Bentley dans une vente publique pour la première fois de son existence.

    1928 BENTLEY 4.5 LITRE
    Year: 1928
    Registration No. YW 2557 (U.K.)
    Chassis No. KM 3088
    Engine No. MF 3175
    Engine: four cylinder, overhead valve, non-detachable cylinder head, 4,398cc, 110bhp at 3,500rpm; Gearbox: four speed manual; Suspension: front and rear, semi-elliptic leaf springs, with friction shock absorbers; Brakes: four wheel drum. Right hand drive.
    Coachwork: 'Bobtail' tourer, by Vanden Plas No. 1480, dark, British Racing, green with green leather interior
    Model history
    The new 4.5 litre had a directly race-bred pedigree. Introduced just shortly after Le Mans 1927, where the company had run the prototype 4.5 litre engine, in a 3 litre chassis. For production the 4.5 litre engine was mounted in a slightly longer 10' 10" chassis, but it drew many components from its larger and smaller counterparts. As Bentley's third model, the car fitted neatly into the market beneath the refined 6.5 but as a perfect replacement for the 3 litre, which had begun to look a little under-powered by then. The car proved extremely popular particularly to those who simply preferred the renowned 'thump' of a four cylinder engine, to Bentley's '6.5', and the Le Mans successes that it achieved, as recounted below, are testament to its abilities.
    For the Works, after Le Mans 1927, Bentley's Racing Shop was moved from Cricklewood, to a building that was part of the Vanden Plas coachbuilders, where all Works cars were built here for the 1928-1930 seasons.
    History of this car
    Chassis KM 3088 was built by the Works between February and May 1928. Vanden Plas records confirm the order of a Le Mans Sports Racer body, as per Job 1477 (Birkin's car, Chassis No. KM 3077). By this they refer to the all new lightweight bodywork designed for Le Mans with cowled 25 gallon 'D' shaped tank sitting over the rear axle for improved handling. Behind the tank was an almost vertical rear-mounted spare wheel, which would cause the cars to be known as 'Bobtails'. Records state it was to be finished in Parson's Napier Green, with matching upholstery, though further details, which would have presumably been confidential, are not detailed. The body was invoiced at £215 to Bentley Motors, and completed on 28th May 1928.
    Bentley's Factory build sheet confirms the original fitting of Engine No. MF 3175 to this chassis and that the car was sold to Sir Roland Gunter, being registered YW 2557.
    For many years, it was thought that the racing debut of the car was in the Essex Six Hours race at Brooklands, a warm up race for Le Mans. Indeed this is even noted on a plate on the bonnet, but it is now known that the car was not ready by then, and that its first race was actually Le Mans 1928.
    Le Mans 1928
    Bentley's team for the 1928 race consisted of Barnato and Rubin in 'Old Mother Gun', Birkin and Chassagne in YV 7263, the first of the Bobtails, and Clement and Benjafield partnered in YW 2557, wearing 'No. 2'.
    For Le Mans that year, the cars wore a third, central headlight, a Marchal unit, sitting in between and slightly above the standard pair of Smiths headlights. Despite this unusual arrangement which would clearly have given them a night-time advantage it seems that this was entirely within the scrutineer's regulations.
    Their competition were 30 other cars, with a particularly strong American element of a 4.9 Litre Straight 8 Stutz and four Model 72 Chryslers.
    From the outset of the race, the pace was incredibly impressive, the lap record being broken first by the Stutz, then by Barnato and again by Clement in YW 2557, within the first hour, who had covered the distance at a remarkable 72.7mph, from the standing start! The record breaking lap times would continue through the race.
    After three hours running, the No.2 car made its first pitstop, a quick 2 minute 20 second turn around for replenishment of petrol and oil being recorded and Clement handing the car over to Dr. Benjafield.
    For much of the night, YW 2557 lay in fourth place, behind a Chrysler, the Barnato and Rubin car, and the leading Stutz. At one point, Clement suffered a fractured oil pipe, which was quickly attended to since the Bentley team carried spares for all oil and fuel pipes. Far more frustrating, and by then noticeable, was the fact that the near-side front door had begun to open of its own free will. Regrettably this was not a coachbuilding fault, but a result of the chassis frame cracking, which was almost certainly caused by the rapid pace of crossing a ridge across the road at the White House Corner. The continual flexing of the chassis at this point, causing the chassis to crack at the rivets for the front gearbox cross-member. The reality of this serious fault became apparent when the water hose detached from the radiator, and all water from the cooling system was lost. Regulations stipulated that water could only be replenished every 20 laps, so sadly YW 2557 was retired from its first Le Mans, on lap 71.
    The same fate was clearly destined for the other 4.5s, although the other cars slowed down and held out for longer, the Barnato and Rubin winning and Birkin's car taking 5th place only for the chassis to break on the journey home at Dieppe.
    In Winter 1928/9, YW 2557 was rebuilt with the new heavier 3/16'' gauge frame, with weighty structural support from bolted strut gear and the stronger four-rivet dumb iron headers as illustrated, the car also received the new pattern cable operated handbrake mechanism at this time.
    On completion of the refurbishment of the car it was ready for the 1929 Season.
    The Double Twelve
    For the 1929 season at Brooklands, the ambitious Junior Car Club introduced the first ever 24 hour endurance race at the circuit. The local residents decreed that the noisy racing was not possible throughout the night - even during the day special silencers had to be fitted - so instead the cars ran in two 12 hour sessions, from 8am to 8pm on consecutive days, Friday/Saturday May 10th/11th. The event proved to be very popular with 56 entries, and a number of prizes offered.
    The Double Twelve was taken very seriously by Bentley who fielded a team of three 4.5 Litres, and debuted the first racing Speed Six, 'Old Number 1'. As Bill Boddy notes in The History of Brooklands Motor Course 'in spite of the long duration of the race 'W.O.' regarded time-saving at pit stops of the utmost importance. He used cam and lever quick-action fuel-filler caps and a most ingenious device whereby opening the oil filler lid opened the crankcase level-tap, but shutting the filler did not close the tap, which finally shut when the clutch pedal was depressed to engage first gear, thus obviating too much oil reaching the sump. In addition the cans used for replenishing the spare oil tank automatically opened valves in the tank fillers, so that the mechanic could leave a can to drain itself while he attended to other details. Even the changing of rockers, valve-springs and magnetos was part of the routine pit drill, while during the night in the open … the Bentleys were rugged up in Army blankets, the sumps being refilled with warm oil in the morning.'
    KM 3088, wearing Race number 6, was piloted by owner Sir Roland Gunter and S.C.H. 'Sammy' Davis. As Davis recounted in an article titled 'The Finest English race' in The Autocar 'No. 6 was in capital condition, just about ripe, that is, good for 4,000 rpm at need, and with heaps of brake adjustment in hand. It had run extraordinarily well….. it was as steady as a rock at 104-105mph, and one cautious experiment showed that it would go up to 107mph and even more, if required by the signals from the pit.
    For the first few laps of each day the cars were run cautiously until they were warm and then the race began in earnest. It was to be a fabulous duel between Ramponi in a 1750 Alfa Romeo and Davis in KM 3088. The final two hours being an intense, changing of places as Davis battled a thinning rear tyre tread and lack of oil! In Davis's words it was 'the finest battle I have ever had bar none….. Worthily did No. 6 respond.' Totally committed to victory he ignored the diminishing oil pressure, later gallantly commenting 'if we burst, we burst, but at all events we would burst in style'. Not until they returned to the pits at the end of the race, did they find that the Alfa had won, by 200 yards an hour, or 0.003 on formula.
    A few weeks later KM 3088 would return to Le Mans to avenge its retirement the former year.
    Le Mans 1929
    This year Bentley fielded a team of no less than 5 Works entries, a fifth of the total accepted for the race. Our car YW 2557, and YV7263 were both conscripted owing to the new 'Blower' Bentleys not being ready, alongside YW 5758 driven by Clement and Chassagne, 'Old Mother Gun' YH 3196 driven by Kidston and Dunfee and they were joined by the new Speed Six, piloted by Barnato and Birkin. To cater for this large number of cars, two pit managers were used, Nobby Clarke and Kensington Moir.
    1929 was an altogether more professional campaign for the Bentley team, who with the exception of the Lord Howe/Rubin entry who were forced to retire early on, had lapped the entire field within four hours from the start of the race. W.O. Bentley's experience and leadership ensured that he had by now perfected his team for endurance racing, worse still for the competition was the evidence that his new car was an even more formidable competitor.
    In such a straightforward race, there are few notes of incidents. The Motor recounts the most notable record of YW 2557's activity during the race as being that 'at ten minutes to three d'Erlanger, on No. 10 was reported in trouble with his lights at Arnage corner. He came in shortly after 3 o'clock and handed over to Benjafield. The lamps appeared to be all right, but a water leak had developed. This proved to be a pump joint and Benjy put matters right with quiet encouragement from Kensington Moir. The leak stopped, Benjafield got into the car, but the starter refused to work 'Look at the leads; take the lid off the battery boxes' Nothing doing! 'Kick the batteries' This had the desired result' This delay allowed the Chrysler to catch the car and overtake for a brief time.
    As the 24th hour reached its climax, the Bentleys patiently formed a processional 1-2-3-4 line up to finish. The Motor would recount 'Beautiful workmanship, magnificent driving and, above all, the most minute preparation enabled the Bentley team to pull off the double victory. For this year, not content with covering the biggest distance in the 24 hours, a Bentley also won the final of the race on a cylinder-capacity basis. Moreover on the score of distance, three other Bentleys were respectively second, third, fourth, and they finished together, crossing the finishing line like a squadron of battleships in 'line-ahead'. YW 2557's place in the line up, the most successful race ever for Bentley was a distinguished 3rd.
    With the introduction of the Speed Sixes and supercharged 4.5s and later the withdrawal from racing at the end of the following year's Le Mans, this was to be the last Works outing for chassis KM 3088.
    Post-Works history
    The history of the car after it had finished its formal racing career, is detailed on the factory records which note, refurbishment in February 1930 - This work included replacement of the nearside magneto, fitting of new 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears, and a reconditioned crown wheel and pinion. The mileage by this time is noted as 47,080.
    Later that year the car was sold to Lachlan Rose of Grove Lodge, Bishop's Stortford, Herts. Early in his ownership Nobby Clarke at Bentley provided him a D type gearbox and a new speedometer. Maintenance continued at the Works, more major attention being received after an accident, when the front nearside wheel collided with a bus in poor weather conditions, in June 1932. At this point the frame was straightened and a new front axle bed fitted, as well as some accessory parts being replaced.
    Writing in the Bentley Drivers Club Review in September 1949, under the title 'Fun and Games with YW 2557, Mr Rose fondly remembered this period, 'We were habitués of Brooklands …. Often we would go down on non-race days and commit lappery and generally fool about. … I generally took the car to go to my office in London, and sometimes if the afternoon was particularly fine I would sneak off after lunch and take a breather down to Brooklands.' He continues 'Sometimes we'd do five laps or more, … the old car revelled in it, and the longer we kept on the better she seemed to go. Lappery like this helped one to understand the quality of those giants of the track who averaged 140 or so.'
    In 1933, the 'Bobtail' was sold by Lachlan Rose to L. Rivers Oldmeadow, c/o Flying Training Ltd. of Hamworth Aerodrome, Middlesex. Clearly a regretted sale, Rose later recalled 'I have never been able to understand what imp of mischief, nay, what evil demon it is that causes one to sell a good car'. Oldmeadow kept the car until the war, and throughout his ownership it was maintained at the Works. The mileage to 1939 is anotated as having passed through 100,000, to record 1,300 on the speedometer. The only notable change on their records being its steering wheel, which was perhaps transferred from another of his cars, as is noted as being ex-chassis 708.
    It is not known when Rivers Oldmeadow sold the Bentley, but it is certainly confirmed that by 1947 after a spell of unsympathetic ownership it was rescued by the previous owner Lachlan Rose, who was ecstatic to see the car advertised in The Autocar just after the war. Mr Rose's delight with being able to be re-united with the 'Bobtail' was tempered by the sorry state in which it was found. The brief period of wartime ownership had seemingly been with an entirely unsympathetic owner, who had sadly removed the semi-circular rear fuel tank, hacked at the bodywork in places to remove some bracketry and was so displeased with the instrument board, that this had been replaced by, as Rose described, 'a varnished attrocity of hideous reddish-yellow colour adorned with a few cheap gadgets.'
    In Rose's BDC 'Fun and Games with YW 2557' article he details how his wife and he purchased the car and set to it with the remit that 'what was good once can generally be made good again'. A decision was made to re-panel the bodywork in aluminium, owing to the lack of availability of the correct fabric. The engine, which was the noted by the seller (to whom Rose refers as Caveat Emptor & Co.) in his advert as having been 'completely re-built by Bentley expert' turned out to have seen only the wrong form of attention, and had by now lost its racing crankshaft. Mr Rose commissioned Bill Shortt to rebuild the engine, and by the time of writing in The Review the car was back on the road. Rose finally commenting 'At least she is home again - for good - and I think she is content'. 'For good' turned out to be a very long period of time neither Lachlan nor his son Tom considering the sale of the car again for 24 years.
    In 1971 the car was sold to the present family's ownership.
    Over the last 33 years, the 'Bobtail' has continued to be cared for by its knowledgeable and enthusiastic owners. It has been a regular sight at Bentley Drivers Club meets, including their pilgrimages to Le Mans.

    condition
    The 'Bobtail' was professionally and accurately restored by Elmdown Engineering in 1964, such that it is today in the exact configuration in which it contested and achieved its race placing at Le Mans. This extends from the seemingly ineffective 'eyebrow' wings to the cowled coachwork by which it earned its nickname. Numerous Le Mans details are evident from the front dumb-iron pillars on which weights could be added in place of the mechanic, to the adjuster in the cockpit, so that the brakes can be tightened on the move.
    Today, the cosmetic aspect of the restoration has mellowed such that it is entirely sympathetic to the great 'war chariot' that the car once was, displaying a charming patina of age. Were one oblivious to the presence and competition styling of the car a discreet a silver plaque applied to the bonnet during this rebuild confirms its racing provenance.
    In recent times an engine rebuild was entrusted to marque specialist Tony Fabian, and prior to the sale after a brief period of rest, the car has once again been returned to the road by Fabian.
    Christie's staff had the benefit of road-testing the car during cataloguing and can confirm that it performs very well, with good brakes, and that its array of instrumentation from Jaeger RPM dial, Smiths MA fuel and oil pressure gauges, to 120 mph Jaeger speedometer, can be relied upon. It should be noted that the engine is presently running with Castrol 'R'.
    In the words of Ray Roberts writing in Bentley Specials and Special Bentleys 'this is a very special car', having been cherished through almost all of its life. It is also a car which is very well-known and has been the subject of various features, from the Hay's excellent reference work The Factory Cars - 1919-1931, where it is illustrated on the cover, to probably the most famous painting of Vintage Le Mans, by Terence Cuneo.
    The only 'Bobtail' Bentley to survive in its original form, YW 2557 contested Le Mans not once, but twice, and is one of only two Works Bentleys that also placed in both major endurance races of its day, the Double Twelve and Le Mans.
    Christie's is honoured to offer this magnificent Bentley for the sale




    Contact Client Service
    • info@christies.com

    • New York +1 212 636 2000

    • London +44 (0)20 7839 9060

    • Hong Kong +852 2760 1766

    • Shanghai +86 21 6355 1766