1936 ALVIS SPEED 25 OPEN 4 SEAT TOURER

Details
1936 ALVIS SPEED 25 OPEN 4 SEAT TOURER
COACHWORK BY CROSS & ELLIS

Registration No. DLK 207
Chassis No. SB/13366
Engine No. 14049
Burgandy with original red leather interior.


Engine: Six cylinder, overhead valves, 3,571cc, 106 bhp at 3,800 rpm, triple SU carburettors; Gearbox: Four speed manual; Brakes: four wheel drum; Suspension: front, independent, rear, semi-elliptic. Right hand drive.

The name of Alvis has been associated with reliability and high performance since the companies conception in 1920. This, together with the cars reputation for good roadholding and a high standard of engineering made them very popular and practical all-round cars in their day, qualities for which they are still famous 75 years on.

The 3½ litre Alvis, introduced in October 1935 was developed into what many people regard as Alvis' finest cars, the Speed 25 and 4.3 litre. The Speed 25 retained the 3½ litre's refinement and comfort, gainedet more performance and was capable of a genuine 95 mph. It also managed to keep the sleek, sporting lines of the earlier Speed 20 and was fitted with a syncromesh gearbox, servo assisted brakes and Luvax fingertip control shock absorbers for the Andre Telecontrol
system. These have three settings: hard, normal and soft which was set depending upon the road surface conditions and the mood of the driver ! The handling and the steering of the Speed 25 was also perceptibly
lighter that the Speed 20 and the 3½ litre, indeed the car was a
worthy competitor to Bentley's Derby built models, although in true
Alvis tradition was a little easier to maintain. As such, they are ideal for long distance touring capable of sustained high speed both at home and on the Continent.

The car on offer today is probably one of the finest and most original Speed 25's extant. It is finished in deep burgandy with its original and beautifully preserved red leather upholstery, and is fitted with its original open 4 seat touring coachwork by Cross & Ellis. It retains its original engine and has been in the present caring ownership since 1967.

The condition is entirely commensurate with a well restored, original car which has been fastidiously maintained by its present owner of twenty eight years. It runs and drives very well and was the subject of a complete overhaul of the chassis, engine, suspension and coachwork a number of years ago to bring it up to concours condition. This resulted in a number of wins at numerous concours events in the 1970's including National Alvis Day, Midland, Northern and Scottish Alvis Days amongst many others. During the last five years it has been completely re-wired into an original-type woven loom and to original specification. Also fitted at this time was a new radiator core, water pump and exhaust system. The magneto coil system is in full working order as is the Luvax shock absorber system, the original self-jacking mechanism, and the air vent on the bulkhead, which are often welded down.

To meet with current requirements non-original flashing indicators are fitted within the side and tail lamps; however the original semaphor indicators are still in place and there is a change over switch to make them operable.

The car is well known in the Alvis Owners Club and comes complete with a full set of weather equipment including its original sidescreens, together with a large file of history dating back to 1948.

;

More from Cars

View All
View All