A PAIR OF WILLIAM IV/VICTORIAN SILVER SALT CELLARS
A PAIR OF WILLIAM IV/VICTORIAN SILVER SALT CELLARS

THE BASES MARK OF ROBERT GARRARD, LONDON, 1835; THE SALTS MARK OF BARNARD BROS., LONDON, 1841

Details
A PAIR OF WILLIAM IV/VICTORIAN SILVER SALT CELLARS
The bases mark of Robert Garrard, London, 1835; the salts mark of Barnard Bros., London, 1841
The shaped oval salt cellars raised on a octagonal plinth applied on each side with an Earl's armorials, the salt cellars with two handles formed as sea-monsters and a double-compartmented removable gilt liner, each side of the salt engraved with an Earl's coronet and monogram C, marked on plinth, shoulder, and liner
5¾in. (14.6cm.) high; 41oz. (1280gr.) (2)

Lot Essay

The arms are those of George, 3rd Earl Cadogan (1783-1864), who served in the Royal Navy from 1796-1863, as well as Naval Aide-de-Camp to William IV and Queen Victoria (1830-1841).
;

More from Important Silver, Objects of Vertu and Russian Works of Art

View All
View All