The wooden barque Wakefield was built by Atkinson & Fillmore at Newburyport, Massachusetts, in 1873. Registered at 880 tons gross, she measured 163½ feet in length with a 34 foot beam and her first master was Captain Joshua B. Nichols, a notable Searsport master mariner. Still American-owned, by J. Baker of Boston, in 1892, when her then master Captain Barnabas Howes died after being run down by a San Francisco cable car, she was soon afterwards sold to S.M.L. Bjvrkegren and re-registered under Swedish colours at Simrishamn. Still afloat and trading in 1902, she disappears from record before the Great War.