Browse Lots

Global notice COVID-19 Important notice
A GEORGE III GILTWOOD CANAPE A CONFIDANTS
No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VA… Read more THE PROPERTY OF AN INSTITUTION
A GEORGE III GILTWOOD CANAPE A CONFIDANTS

ATTRIBUTED TO FRANCOIS HERVE, LATE 18TH CENTURY

Details
A GEORGE III GILTWOOD CANAPE A CONFIDANTS
ATTRIBUTED TO FRANCOIS HERVE, LATE 18TH CENTURY
Channelled overall, the waved toprail above a padded seat and cushion covered in crimson foliate silk-damask, the spandrels carved with urns, with serpentine seat rail, on stop-fluted tapering legs headed by paterae, with blue bordered paper label inscribed in ink 'Brynkinalt RN', with batten carrying-holes, regilt
119½ in. (303.5 cm.) wide
Provenance
Possibly Arthur Hill-Trevor, 2nd Viscount Dungannon (1763-1837), Brynkinalt, Chirk, Clwyd.
Anonymous sale [Property of a Nobleman]; Christie's, London, 25 June 1981, lot 29.
Special Notice

No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 17.5% will be added to the buyer's premium, which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis.

Lot Essay

The elegant George III sofa, with floral tablet rail and fluted columnar legs, is conceived in the French antique fashion; and the goût Grec sacred urns crowning its triumphal arched back reflect the Roman 'columbarium' style of 'vase' decorating promoted in the 1770s by the court architects, Robert Adam and Sir William Chambers. In particular this 'French' fashion was adopted by the Tottenham Court Road 'cabriolet chair-frame maker' John Meschain, together with his partner François Hervé, who superceded him in the 1780s. Japanned 'cabriole' chairs of this pattern were amongst seat furniture commissioned from Hervé around 1780 for Devonshire House, London and Chatsworth, Derbyshire by the 5th Duke of Devonshire (d. 1811) and his Duchess, née Spencer (I. Hall, 'A Neoclassical episode at Chatsworth', Burlington Magazine, June 1980, pp. 402-414 & fig. 39). Hervé, who also supplied the Duke with large end-seated sofas called 'Confidants', described such chair legs as - feet turned, flu[te]d and counterflu[te]d’.

Brynkinalt, Clwyd, the ancient family seat of the Trevor family, was built in 1612 by Sir Edward Trevor. Two centuries later, the house was aggrandised by Arthur Hill-Trevor, 2nd Viscount Dungannon (d. 1837), and then in 1926 and again in 1952, when it was returned almost to its original appearance.
;

More from Fine English and Continental Furniture

View All
View All