A FRENCH ELECTROPLATED AND CUT-GLASS CENTREPIECE
No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VA… Read more Charles Christofle (1805-1863) took over his brother-in-law's bijouterie-joaillerie 'Maison Calmette' and changed the name to 'Société Charles Christofle et Cie' in 1831. Following the invention of the techniques of electro-metallurgy by Elkington and Co, Christofle abandoned jewellery production and concentrated from 1844 on electroplating as well as on large works in solid silver. Christofle was thereafter granted the title of Fournisseur Officiel du Roi Louis-Philippe. In 1855, he became Fournisseur de l'Empereur (Napoleon III), supplying the numerous official palaces.
A FRENCH ELECTROPLATED AND CUT-GLASS CENTREPIECE

BY CHRISTOFLE & CIE., PARIS, LAST QUARTER 19TH CENTURY

Details
A FRENCH ELECTROPLATED AND CUT-GLASS CENTREPIECE
BY CHRISTOFLE & CIE., PARIS, LAST QUARTER 19TH CENTURY
Modelled with four putti supporting an oviform bowl with engraved laurel-leaf band, the naturalistic base centred to each side by a shield tablet, one engraved 6 AVRIL 1861/6 AVRIL 1886 and the other with an RB monogram, the underside numbered 1228730
6½ in. (16.5 cm.) high; 22 in. (55.8 cm.) wide; 13 in. (33 cm.) deep
Special notice

No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 15% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis.

Lot Essay

An identical centrepiece, stamped Christofle, sold as part of a table garniture at Christie's, New York, 28 October 2003, lot 67.

More from 19th Century Furniture, Sculpture, Works of Art and Ceramics

View All
View All