This type of drinking vessel, of which examples in porcelain are rare, was probably modelled after a silver prototype. It was known as a 'willkomm' beaker and was traditionally offered to guests in the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries as part of the welcome ceremony. For a similar documentary example in the white, see Ulrich Pietsch et al., Triumph of the Blue Swords, Staatliche Kunstsammlungen, Dresden, Exhibition Catalogue, 2010, p. 308, cat. no. 329. This documentary example in the Schloß Belvedere in Weimar, dated 1749, was presented to Herzog Johann von Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt (1721 - 1767) by Carl Siegmund Graf von Nimptsch (1697 - 1773). From 1741 Graf von Nimptsch was one of three members of the commission supervising the Meissen Manufactory, reporting to Heinrich Count Brühl, and he became director of the manufactory in 1763. It is interesting to note that before he entered into the service of the Polish-Saxon Court in Dresden he participated in the education of Herzog Carl Friedrich von Sachsen-Meiningen (1712 - 1743) and was later appointed his "maitre de plaisier".