Laid down in the Glasgow yards of Smith & Rodger as the Hellespont, her iron hull was purchased on the stocks by the Inman Line who renamed her City of Dublin prior to her launching in February 1864. Completed later the same year, she was registered at 2,138 tons gross and measured 318 feet in length with a 36 foot beam. Driven by a single screw powered by a beam-geared 2-cylinder engine, she could cruise at 11 knots and carried accommodation for 100 Cabin and 400 Third Class passengers. After eight years of scheduled Liverpool to New York sailings, she was sold to the Dominion Line in 1873, fitted with new compound engines and put to work on their Liverpool to Boston run. After only one return voyage, she was renamed Quebec and transferred to their Liverpool, Quebec and Montreal route where she remained, apart from a change of home port to Avonmouth, until December 1887. Sold to French owners in 1888 and renamed Nautique, she foundered after being abandoned in a sinking condition in the North Atlantic on 16
t h February 1890.