A French ormolu-mounted white marble clock Circa 1900
Modelled as an urn on a fluted pedestal surrounded by The Three Graces, the circular stepped lid with Vitruvian scroll frieze surmounted by a pine-cone finial, opening to reveal the twin-train movement stamped Samuel Marti Mdaille d'Or Paris 1900 with platform leaver escapement and countwheel strike on a bell, with two annular enamel rings showing the hours and five minute divisions, flanked to each side by a cylindrical handle, the gadrooned ovoid body with laurel swags, on a fluted pedestal with acanthus base, two of the three holding a garland of spring flowers, the other pointing to the dial, on a rectangular plinth with emblematic putto friezes to the front and sides, on a stepped spreading base
31 in. (80 cm.) high; 15.3/8 in. (39 cm.) wide; 11 in. (28 cm.) deep
This clock is loosely based on the model by Lepaute and Vion, delivered in 1769 to the Comtesse du Barry, and now in the Muse du Louvre, Paris.