Lot Content

Global notice COVID-19 Important notice
A PAIR OF GEORGE III WHITE-PAINTED AND PARCEL-GILT SETTEES
No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VA… Read more The following three lots are known to have been brought to Nantlys from the neighbouring house at Brynbella and therefore would have been supplied to Mrs Piozzi in the 1790s. The side chairs are stamped by John Gee (1779-c.1824), who ran a large chairmaking firm in Wardour Street.
A PAIR OF GEORGE III WHITE-PAINTED AND PARCEL-GILT SETTEES

BY JOHN GEE, LATE 18TH CENTURY, RE-DECORATED

Details
A PAIR OF GEORGE III WHITE-PAINTED AND PARCEL-GILT SETTEES
BY JOHN GEE, LATE 18TH CENTURY, RE-DECORATED
Each with a rectangular back, the arms filled with Chinese paling and on ring-turned legs, one inscribed in ink '4171P', one lacking castors, both with traces of earlier black-and-gilt and blue-and-green decoration, with squab cushions
73 in. (185 cm.) wide (2)
Provenance
Supplied to Mrs Hester Piozzi (1741-1821), Brynbella, and by descent to
The Rev. George Salusbury, by whom sold to
Philip Pennant (d.1910) and by descent.
Special Notice

No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 15% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis.

More from The Gyrn Castle House Sale, North Wales. Property from Gyrn Castle, Nantlys, Mostyn Hall and Capesthorne Hall

View All
View All