Lot Content

Global notice COVID-19 Important notice
A PAIR OF VICTORIAN SILVER PILGRIM-FLASKS
A PAIR OF VICTORIAN SILVER PILGRIM-FLASKS
1 More
A PAIR OF VICTORIAN SILVER PILGRIM-FLASKS

MARK OF GEORGE FOX, LONDON, 1863, RETAILED BY LAMBERT, COVENTRY STREET, LONDON

Details
A PAIR OF VICTORIAN SILVER PILGRIM-FLASKS
MARK OF GEORGE FOX, LONDON, 1863, RETAILED BY LAMBERT, COVENTRY STREET, LONDON
Each with lobed body, the lobes part chased with foliage, the covers with foliage finial and chain, the necks engraved with crest and baron's coronet, marked on necks and covers, each stamped 'Lambert Coventry Street, London'
19 in. (48.2 cm.) high
120 oz. 11 dwt. (3,750 gr.)
The crest is that of Bass for Arthur Michael Bass, 1st Baron Burton K.C.V.O., of Burton on Trent and Rangemore (1837 -1909).

Brought to you by

Dido Penny
Dido Penny

Check the condition report or get in touch for additional information about this

Condition Report

If you wish to view the condition report of this lot, please sign in to your account.

Sign in
View condition report

Lot Essay

Michael Arthur Bass, of Rangemore Hall, Burton on Trent and Glenquoich, Invergarry was the eldest son of the brewer Michael Thomas Bass M.P. of Rangemore Hall. The Bass brewery was founded in 1777 by William Bass when he was 60 years old. His grandson, Michael Arthur became Chairman in 1863 and under his tenure Bass became the largest brewery in the world.

Michael Arthur was elected M.P. for Stafford 1865-1868 and for East Staffordshire 1868-1885, and for the Burton Division of the County from 1885-1886. He married Harriet Georgina in 1869. He was created a Baronet 17 May 1882, Baron Burton of Rangemore and Burton on Trent in 1886, and Baron Burton of Burton on Trent and Rangemore in 1897. He died without male issue and the first creation became extinct. His daughter Nellie Lisa Bass succeeded to the second.

Pilgrim Flasks
The pear-shaped form of the pilgrim flask has its roots in the leather water flask carried by the pilgrim or traveller of the Middle Ages. Particularly grand flasks with fine cut-card work were produced in the late 17th and early 18th century. Contemporary prints, such as Martin Engelbrecht's representation of the great silver buffet in the Rittersaal at the Berliner Schloss, circa 1708, indicate that they were arranged on side buffets during formal banquets. When placed in wine cisterns, they also served to decant wine.

Late 17th and early 18th century examples provided the inspiration for Edward Farrell and Robert Garrard in the 19th century. These revival pieces were also used as grand display plate. Many of the examples by Garrard were presented by the Royal Families of Europe, such as those exhibited, London, Sotheby's, English Silver Treasures from the Kremlin, 1991, no. 111, which were given by the Royal Families of Greece and Denmark to the Tsar Alexander III on his marriage to Marie Fedorovna in 1866. Another Royal pair by Garrard of 1866 matching the present pair was given to King Christian IX of Denmark, and was sold in the Collection of King George I of the Hellenes, Christie's, London, 24 January 2007, lot 303. A pair of pilgrim flasks in the Royal Collection are illustrated in E.A. Jones, The Gold and Silver of Windsor Castle, London, 1911, p. 36.

More from OPULENCE .Silver . Gold Boxes . 19th Century Furniture & Works of Art

View All
View All