The design of the present carpet is related to a late 18th century Axminster design, which was woven at the manufactory a number of times. One of these carpets was created for the Salon at Devonshire House, London (Betram Jacobs, Axminster Carpets (handmade) 1755 - 1957, Leigh-on-Sea, 1970, pl. 3).
The arms on the carpet are those of Howard quartering Brotherton, Warren and Mowbray, impaling von der Schulenburg and are for Sir Henry Francis Howard GCB (1809-1898) and his second wife Marie Ernestine von der Schulenburg (d.1897), daughter of Wilhelm Leopold von der Schulenburg, Baron of Priemern, Prussia, whom he married in 1841. Sir Henry was a distinguished diplomat and served variously in Germany, Brazil and Portugal. In 1863 he was made a Knight of the Bath and in 1866 he became the last British Minister to the Kingdom of Bavaria. He retired in 1872 and died in Munich just one month after his wife.