The full-rigged sailing ship Andromeda was built in 1864 in Liverpool, England by Jones, Quiggin & Co., for the Union army. She was considered one of the fastest sailers in the world and ideally suited for catching Confederate slave traders and blockade runners. In 1879 she was sold to Wilhelm A. Riedemann, a pioneer builder of oil tankers based in the German port of Geestmünde. She was converted to a tanker in 1885 and operated in this capacity until 1888 when she was stranded and wrecked on the coast of Cross Sand Great Yarmouthand on the way to New York.
The two-stack steamer in the background belonging to the White Star Line is likely either the Britannic or the Germanic, both built in 1874.