The cut-cornered panels along with the delicate crossbanding and contrasting veneers in the manner of Hepplewhite, relate this pembroke table to an example by cabinet-maker Henry Kettle, supplied to John Parker the younger, later Lord Boringdon, for the saloon at Saltram, Devon (illustrated in C. Gilbert, Pictorial Dictionary of Marked London Furniture, 1700-1840, Leeds, 1996, fig. 543, p. 289). A further related table with a sycamore ground and shaped panels to the leaves in the manner of Henry Kettle is illustrated in P. Broome, The Hyde Park Collection, Hong Kong, 1985, p. 191.
Henry Kettle's known career began when he was taken into partnership with the cabinet-maker William Henshaw around 1770 whose workshops were at 18 St. Paul's Church Yard. Kettle continued solely at this address from circa 1774 when he took over the firm of Philip Bell at 23 St. Paul's Church Yard, the address from which he appears to have centered his business from about 1777. He is also discussed in G. Wills, 'Some Labelled Furniture at Saltram', Furniture History, Leeds, 1966, vol. II, p. 37 (pl XIX).