The George III 'cabriolet' chair patterns for hermed feet and Roman-medallioned backs were introduced around 1780 and featured in Messrs A. Hepplewhite & Co.'s The Cabinet-Maker and Upholsterer's Guide, 1788. A set of six armchairs of this pattern were advertised by Mallett in Country Life, 9 May 1991.
A suite of related chairs, bearing the label of Frank Partridge of King Street, London and New York, was sold anonymously, Christie's New York, 19 October 2000, lot 281, while a pair of armchairs of this model was sold from a southern collection, Christie's New York, 25 January 2000, lot 585.
This set of chairs once formed part of the collection of the late Mrs. A.E. Roach. The daughter of Enrico Fattorini, an Old Master paintings collector, she and her husband assembled a distinguished collection of 18th Century furniture in the years following the Second World War. Her collection was displayed at her home in Guernsey, a Regency town house overlooking St. Peter's Port, much of it having been bought from well-known London dealers.