[CHARLES I, King of England]. MEARNE, Samuel, Binder. Manuscript collection of 46 hymns and anthems, manuscript title, "The Full Anthems," containing compositions by William Byrd (5), Thomas Tallis (2), John Blow (7), Henry Purcell (5), Orlando Gibbons (3), William Child (1), Edmund Hooper (1), Henry Aldrich (11), Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina (2), Anthony Munday (1), Giacomo Carissimi (2), Thomas Tomkins (1), Adrian Batten (1), Christopher Tye (1), William White (1), John Weldon (1), Nathaniel Giles (1), King Henry VIII (1). [London?], ca.1665.
2o (362 x 235 mm). 2pp. manuscript "Table of the Anthems Contained in this Book," 4pp. calligraphic prayers with decorative capitals, 321 pp. manuscript music (paginated 9-330), on carefully pages neatly ruled 12 staves to the page in red and brown, (14 leaves ruled but unused at end), notated in full score in a clear hand, full text underlay for each part, most titles in a calligraphic hand at the head of the anthem with the composer's name in similar flourished italic at end.
Binding: Contemporary London black turkey, cover with wide roll-tooled gilt borders, the enclosures richly gilt in an indented cottage-roof pattern formed of small and large volutes, pointillé, carnation, tulip, daisy, thistle and leaf tools, in the center of each long side the royal cipher (a crown flanked by two feathers with interlocked initials "CC" in center); spine gilt in seven compartments, the second lettered "ANTHEMS," two others with crown, feather and interlocked initial device; gilt edges and turn-ins, marbled paper endpages, BY SAMUEL MEARNE FOR CHARLES II. (Front joint cracked, slight wear to corners, lacks silk ties.) Provenance: Charles II, King of England (1630-85); John Dolben (1662-1710), engraved bookplate; Lord Crewe of Crewe Hall, circular bookplate; exhibited in the Burlington Fine Arts Club Catalogue of Bindings, 1891.
AN EXTENSIVE COLLECTION OF ANTHEMS, FINELY BOUND FOR CHARLES II BY MEARNE, THE ROYAL BINDER. An exceptional folio binding by Mearne, who became Royal Binder to the King in 1660. Exhibited at the Burlington Fine Arts Club Catalogue of Bindings, plate 96; listed as no.1 in the list of bindings by the King's Binder in Hobson, Bindings in Cambridge Libraries, p.140.